For curbing the menace of fake PAN cards, the Central Government has deactivated 11 lakh PAN Cards.
“As on 27 July, 11,44,211 PANs have been identified and deleted or deactivated in cases where multiple PANs were found allotted to one person,” said Minister of State for finance Santosh Kumar Gangwar, in a written reply in Rajya Sabha.
The minister wrote in his reply that it is illegal to hold more than one PAN Card on one person’s identity. It further said that the accused will be slapped with a penalty of Rs. 10,000 under section 272B of the Income-tax Act, 1961 for having more than one PAN.
The Centre directed that the moment a person gets to know that he holds more than one PAN, he should immediately surrender the additional PAN card(s).
To find out the status of your PAN Card, kindly follow the instructions given below:
* Kindly visit the Income Tax Department’s website by clicking on the link:
* Please enter surname, name, and date of birth etc along with mobile number in the space provided
* After completion of the step, you will receive the OTP on mobile
* Enter the OTP to proceed further
* The page result will tell show you the status of your PAN Card