The application has issued this clarification in reply to the allegations of privacy breach and leak of users’ private messages with family and friends on search engines.
“Instead, this update includes changes related to messaging a business on WhatsApp”, said WhatsApp.
The clarification includes the following points:
It further shared a list of information “NOT shared with Facebook”.
- WhatsApp cannot see your private messages or hear your calls and neither can Facebook.
- WhatsApp does keep logs of who everyone is messaging or calling.
- WhatsApp cannot see your shared location and neither can Facebook.
- WhatsApp does not share your contacts with Facebook.
- WhatsApp groups remain private.
- You can set your messages to disappear.
- You can download your data.
Responding to one of the biggest concerns about “group privacy” post the policy update announcement, WhatsApp in the Security and Privacy section of its official website states that, “We don’t share this data with Facebook for ads. Again, these private chats are end-to-end encrypted so we can’t see their content.”
The websites also suggest its users to change message settings for “additional privacy” to “disappear from chats after sending them”.
One can visit https://www.whatsapp.com/